Tuesday 19 February 2013

Heuer Autavia 1163T Siffert

Heuer Autavia 1163T Siffert, Cal. 11 Mk4 w/Mk6 dial/hands, c1971 (on loan)
A big thanks goes to fellow Heuer collector and master Heuer tinterer James for letting me try out his Siffert. Thanks bud.
So, this is a 1971 Mk4 version with a Cal. 11 movement. At some time in it’s life it has most probably had the dial and hands replaced at service, so it has the later Mk6 dial, with the 1-12 numerals on the hour counter. This Mk6 livery is actually one of my favourite Sifferts, I love the blue tipped hands and tramline hour batons. (Earlier models had ridged batons). This is actually the first Siffert I have ever handled or seen in the flesh, and I’m genuinely blown away by it. Up until this point I had always admired the Siffert, but was of the mindset that it was a little overpriced compared to its other Autavia brothers. Now I can see the appeal, and why they command top prices – it is strikingly beautiful, and I can see why it is firmly one of the most sought after Heuers.
I won’t go into too much detail about Jo Siffert, but to simply say he was a legendary Swiss racing driver who loved his Heuers, and wore a white dialed 1163T for a long time. If you want to read up on his illustrious career, check out the Siffert Wiki page here.











No comments:

Post a Comment